Boy things are starting to move as we get closer to the draft, eh? Rumours be flying left and right! So let’s go with another quick hitter today guys! I’m going to comment on Taylor Hall, Hampus Lindholm, Sami Vatanen, Nail Yakupov, and trading down.
Sami Vatanen Signs!
#Ducks have signed RFA D Sami Vatanen to a four-year extension, taking a major trade chip off the market.
— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) June 18, 2016
- So there we have it. First it was Travis Hamonic rescinding his trade request, then it was Justin Faulk being pulled off the market, after that Avs head honcho Joe Sakic said Tyson Barrie wasn’t going anywhere, and now we’re at this point. Sami Vatanen is NOW the Anaheim Ducks most paid defenseman.
- Every major right-handed defenseman the Edmonton Oilers are pursuing is becoming unavailable IF you believe what the GMs are saying.
- Where do the Oilers go from here?
Vatanen deal has partial no-trade in last two years only.
— Helene Elliott (@helenenothelen) June 18, 2016
- Well I guess that is a plus. Edmonton can still trade for Vatanen. But what about going after Cam Fowler or Josh Manson?
- Fowler was a name that was being tossed around a bit in trade rumours last season as the guy Ducks’ brass was less than enamoured with. He was Taylor Hall’s teammate when they won the Memorial Cup together along with Zach Kassian.
Bob Murray says in a Facebook Live session that a priority is getting a left-shooting left wing. "High quality left winger if possible."
— Eric Stephens (@icemancometh) June 18, 2016
- I guess it all depends on your definition of “High quality left winger”. Is Taylor Hall that guy? Lowetide often speaks of the Hampus Lindholm for Hall scenario but you’d have to think that if Anaheim isn’t willing to give Lindholm $6M per year, why would he give that to Hall? And Lindholm is tracking as a future no.1 defender. So I could see why the Oilers would want him but that’s the same reason the Ducks won’t be letting him go.
- But let’s say that was a deal that happened, what would that mean for Oscar Klefbom, Brandon Davidson or Darnell Nurse? Would we see Klefbom moved to Brooklyn for Hamonic?
- Perhaps that Pouliot package may very well still be alive. Why Pouliot though?
- Jason Gregor reported that Pouliot was rumoured to be going to the Ducks last year at the deadline WITH Nail Yakupov before his injury scuttled that deal. One can only at least speculate talks would resume this off-season.
- Speaking of Nail Yakupov, how many of you think that he’s already been dealt and we’re just waiting for the announcement on draft day? The rumours are becoming stronger that he’s going to Philly but I have a hard time believing that one.
- I wonder though, could Detroit get in on him? Maybe offering towering winger Anthony Mantha? Mantha hasn’t progressed at the pace the brass in Michigan have expected after tearing up the QMJHL.
- There’s a connection there too. Yakupov’s agent, Igor Larionov, played many a year for the wheeled wing.
- Would Montreal take a flyer on him and pair him up with his junior centre, Alex Galchenyuk? Perhaps dangling Nikita Scherbak or Jacob de la Rose?
- Personally I think that Chiarelli would like to get a 1st rounder and perhaps a prospect. Yak’s contract is a value one given the potential he still has and it’s only for one more season expiring at the end of the upcoming season.
- The team that acquires Yakupov would still have him under control I believe for another three years? But don’t quote me on that. I’m not too well versed in the regard.
- If Arizona adds to that offer that was bandied about earlier this week (the #7 and #20 overall), I think there’s a good chance we could see the #4 pick moved.
- And if that happens, I feel that it’s Mikhail Sergachev that will be picked at #7. His junior coach was a former member of the Oilers coaching staff and rising star in the coaching fraternity, Rocky Thompson.
- As for the no.20… I had Arizona taking University of Wisconsin forward Luke Kunin in my mock draft here.
- You’d have to think though that Chiarelli would be tempted into taking Connor McDavid’s old junior linemate in Erie. The uber-scoring Alex Debrincat.
- God knows that the Oilers need some depth scoring coming up through the pipeline and Debrincat would be a blessing from Mana. Adding him to Slepyshev and Caggiula.