Oilers had four games and they lost three of them. They did pull a surprise win against Anaheim despite being down (which is a recurring theme this year) Really, they had only one stinker of a game and that was probably against Arizona where they lost 4-1. They lost 4-2 against Chicago, but they had an amazing twenty shots in the second period but Corey Crawford decided to become a wall and they lost a close one against LA due to silly mistakes.
There are some glimmers of hope there but moral victories can only do so much for the fans and the team itself.
Edmonton Oilers Three Stars of the Week
3. Oscar Klefbom: Klefbom has been one of our best defencemen this year. Don’t look now, but in 18 games he has 10 points. I remember there being some concern about his offensive production but he’s pace for a 46 point season, although I’m sure he’ll trail off. I thought he was struggling at the start but he’s really picked up his game these last few games. It’s a great sight.
2. Taylor Hall: Ho hum, Hall has 20 points and is tied for fourth in NHL scoring. There were some people who didn’t think he was one of the top at his position (I have him third behind Ovechkin and Benn). He scored a tying goal in the third last night on his birthday. He’s a gem and it sucks that he’s wasted six years so far playing for a bad hockey team.
1. Leon Draisaitl: Leon is flat out a monster at the moment. Not only has he matched his point total from last season, he is sitting at thirteen points in only eight games. Like Klefbom, he’s bound to cool down the road but holy hell is he ever impressive. He seems to score at the right times and looks golden with Taylor Hall. Against Anaheim he had an impressive back check which lead to the game winning goal. Love the guy and I’m happy he’s ours.
Edmonton Oilers Rumors
There’s one rumor that Cam Fowler may be available and our very own Zach Laing looked at it over here . It would be an intruiging fit.
Some other names out there: Patrick Marleau and Matt Duchene. I don’t think they will be Edmonton Oilers bound and I think Marleau is moved (my NHL 16 be a gm always has Marleau traded, mostly to the Predators) but Duchene raises some eyebrows. I wonder what’s going on in Colorado: they already lost Stastny, O’Reilly and Duchene is not the problem. I don’t think Joe Sakic is very good in hockey ops and the record reflects it.
Around the League
- Sportsnet has their list of the ten best goalies so far this season.
- Around the league, teams paid their respects to the tragedy in Paris.
- Ryan Miller doesn’t want the league to rush the goalie equipment changes.
- The Jets got thumped last night against Nashville and have now lost 5 straight.
- Justin Abdelkader signed a long term contract extension: 4.25 million x 7 years.
- The Hockey Hall of Fame introduced their new members this week, including former Oiler Defenceman and current Arizona Coyotes legend, Chris Pronger
Seguin, Benn and Klingberg are scary in 3v3 Overtime
Jake Allen went to jail for robbery
Devils stacked their pucks in the shape of the Eiffel Tower
Only two games on the docket for the Edmonton Oilers this week: They face the Chicago Blackhawks at home on Wednesday and the New Jersey Devils at home on Friday
That’s it for this week’s roundup!