It’s time for the weekly round up with our beloved Edmonton Oilers!
This week, the Oilers had three games on the dock: A 3-2 Overtime win in Vancouver, a 3-1 win here in Edmonton vs Detroit and a poorly played 7-4 lost versus a good Washington team.
Going 2-1 this week, the Oilers have improved their record to 3-5-0.
Edmonton Oilers Three Stars of the Week
3. Mark Letestu
Letestu gets the nod for the third star of the week as he had some pretty good chances via McDavid, including his first of his Oilers career. He’s been showing some great energy in the bottom six role and I’m starting to notice good things about him more and more.
2. Cam Talbot
He’s the number one goalie, no question. Nilsson had a poor showing (albeit there’s a debate to how much of that loss against Washington was truly his fault) and Talbot was simply superb this week. He had two wins and was solid in relief of Nilsson in an awful game from the Oilers. He looked especially great against Detroit. Isn’t it great having a goalie that we can finally trust? I imagine we will have some speculation about his next contract soon.
1. Connor McDavid
McDavid had points in all three games. He had a very nice assist to Nail Yakupov against Vancouver, Scored a highlight worthy goal against Detroit and had a goal and an assist against Washington. Sure, he had an own goal against Washington and had a rough night despite the points, but he’s 18 and he’s starting to look like he’s going to be an elite talent….very soon. Not that nobody was doubting that.
Edmonton Oilers Rumors:
Pretty quiet on the Oilers front. It’s still very early on in the year and should not be a surprise that there is a lack of movement throughout the league. Struggling teams will make coaching changes before making a significant trade. Usually at least.
Around the League:
- We had our first coaching change in the NHL. After a dreadful 0-7-0 start, Todd Richards was out as head coach, with John Tortorella hired.
- One game in, we had our first controversy in Columbus as Ryan Johansen was reportedly benched due to fitness reasons.
- Montreal is a really good hockey team
- Is Alex Ovechkin really Batman?
- The NHL is looking for Female Officials.
- The Boston Bruins unveiled their Winter Classic jerseys. I personally think they look great, especially in the collar.
- It’s time to panic in Anaheim. They are a pitiful 1-5-1 and cannot score a goal to save their lives. Bruce Boudreau is now on the hot seat.
- For the first time in 98 years of the NHL’s history, Canadians do not make up the majority of the league’s players.
- Jaromir Jagr has an amazing 10 points in 8 games. He just keeps going and going.
- Patrick Roy said some comments towards advance stats.
The Bakersfield Condors and San Diego Gulls in the AHL got into a line brawl (there is no sound)
Toews scored a very nice first goal of the season in Overtime against Tampa Bay last night
This is the save of the year by Ryan Ruck of North Eastern
Connor McDavid had a nifty goal
The Week Ahead
The Oilers play FOUR times this week….and it’s not going to be an easy schedule
Tonight, it’s versus Los Angeles
Tuesday we visit Minnesota and the wall from St. Paul, Devan Dubnyk.
Thursday we take on the perfect Montreal Canadiens
Halloween Saturday the Flames visit the Oilers.
That’s all for this week’s weekly roundup!
Follow me on Twitter!