The Oilers had only two games on the docket this week with a 4-3 Overtime loss to Chicago on Wednesday and a good ol fashioned butt kicking 5-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Awesome. They got a possible 3 points out of four! That’s an actual positive and not a moral victory!
It’s crazy though. They are last in the Western Conference but only six points away from a playoff spot in the western conference.
Combine that with a five game eastern conference road trip and you have to think that the Oilers are going to get some points.
Edmonton Oilers Three Stars
3) Teddy Purcell Hey, it’s everyone’s favorite Edmonton Oiler! Teddy Purcell had recently worked with Adam Oates and it’s paying off. He reportedly cut four inches off of his stick and Purcell has been producing. He had 4 points this week, including three against Chicago. I’m noticing Purcell in a positive light and he’s making some outstanding passes and is fighting for the puck. He’s not flashy and not physical nor fast, so he’ll be in the doghouse of Oilers fans, but he’s a good player.
2) Taylor Hall Ah, don’t you love crow? That’s what people who were saying Trade Hall are eating right now. He’s firmly in the top five of league scoring. He too had four points, including a goal and two assists against New Jersey. Like Purcell, you can really see Hall’s play making ability. I mean that pass to Draisaitl for the first goal of the game. Just a beauty.
1) Leon Draisaitl This one was a pretty easy one as Draisaitl continues his massive tear in the NHL with a whopping 17 points. He’s tied with players like Kyle Turris, Kyle Okposo, Evegni Malkin and Steven Stamkos except it only took him ten games. Leon has been the best Edmonton Oiler and it’s not even close. Sure, he’s riding a 35% Shooting percentage which is definitely not sustainable, but you notice that Draisaitl is not scoring at garbage times: he’s usually scoring the first goal of the game, a tying goal, or a clinching goal. He had two goals and two assists this week and mirrored Hall in production against New Jersey with a goal and two assists.
Edmonton Oilers Trade Rumors.
There was a huge trade rumor that is still lingering out there: Travis Hamonic of the New York Islanders requested a trade out of Long Island. It was not due to playing time, not liking the location but strictly for personal reasons. More interesting: Elliot Friedman speculates that it could take a three way trade for the Oilers to get land Hamonic. We had our very own analysis at Beer League Heroes concerning Hamonic. Also, a great blog Oilers Nerd Alert, did an advance stats look at Hamonic and is definitely worth a read.
Around The League
- Alex Ovechkin is now the all time leader in Russian NHL goal scoring.
- Patrick Marleau clinched his 1000th point milestone last night in a victory over the Penguins
- Daniel Sedin notched his 900th career point in a win over Chicago last night.
- Nazem Kadri broke his goal scoring slump. He went 83 shots in between goals.
- Jets goalie Ondrej Pavalec was injured, left game on crutches
- There are plenty of point streaks and Sportsnet looks at the top ten of all time.
- Connor McDavid’s former teammate in Erie, Alex DeBrincat, is tearing up the OHL.
- Sportsnet has their top thirty prospects for the 2016 NHL Draft.
Marleau’s 1000th point
NHL.com’s Plays of the Week
Ryan Kesler went as an undercover fan during a pre-season game
The Week Ahead
The Oilers play four games on the road this week:
Monday against Washington, Wednesday against Carolina, Saturday against Detroit and Sunday against Pittsburgh (plus a Monday tilt against Toronto)
In my opinion, that’s at least six points the Oilers can get this road trip.
That’s the week that was. Feel free to follow me on Twitter Oilers Fans!