Congrats everyone! We are OFFICIALLY only four days away from the regular season starting in the NHL. We’re back baby!
This week has some important news, especially on the Edmonton Oilers front.
Edmonton Oilers Three Stars of the Week
Third Star: Connor McDavid
McDavid makes another appearance in my three stars of the week and I think it will be a reoccurring theme for this season. So far, he has 5 points (all assists) this pre season. Yet, the score sheet does not do McDavid any justice. Every time he touches the puck, you are on the edge of your seat. It’s hard to put into words how special of a talent this kid is and I personally can’t wait to see him play against NHL teams.
Second Star: Anders Nilsson
Personally, I think he is the back up over Scrivens. Nilsson has been practically perfect this pre season. I do not see how anyone could really cut him over Scrivens, although contract and waiver exemption will be a factor. Still, the big swede has been our best goalie this preseason, even above our assumed starter, Cam Talbot (who I am a huge booster of).
First Star: Anton Lander
What a year can make. At this time last year, Lander was facing a waiver claim losing a spot over the woeful Will Acton. Has there been an Oiler that has benefited from the axing of Dallas Eakins? Lander had a natural hat trick in a win over Arizona earlier this week, scoring the three goals in a six minute span. He’s looked fine this pre season and is maturing into that bottom six role that the Oilers have needed for awhile. Hard not to root for the guy.
Edmonton Oilers Rumors and News
There were a couple Oilers rumors this week. First was the Bryan Bickell for Nikita Nikitin trade rumor that fell thru. Bickell was placed on waivers yesterday and cleared this morning. Meanwhile, the Oilers waived Nikitin this morning and is expected (barring a miracle) to clear. (Edmonton Journal)
Also rumored was Andrew Ference being on the trade block and the Captain situation. Jason Gregor spoke with Ference about the captaincy and it was revealed that Ference was the one who approached management about stepping down as captain this season. (Oilers Nation)
Unfortunately, Jordan Eberle was injured in Tuesday’s pre season tilt with Arizona. The winger will be missing four to six weeks with a shoulder injury. (Edmonton Journal)
Darnell Nurse was sent down to the AHL on Tuesday. His time will come soon. He had an impressive camp. (Edmonton Sun)
Nikita Nikitin was placed on waiver this morning. I wrote a post after Thursday night’s 5-2 loss focusing on the woes of Nikitin. (Oil on Whyte)
Around the League
- The Pittsburgh Penguins announced some surprising roster moves with releasing Sergei Gonchar from his PTO and assigning young defenceman, Derrick Pouliot, to the AHL. Even more surprising, Daniel Sprong, the Penguins second round draft pick in this years draft, is seemingly making the team. (Pens Labyrinth)
- In Tampa Bay, Stamkos is focused on the upcoming season and hoping that contract talks will not be a distraction. (Tampabay.com)
- Strangely enough, there is no timetable for the upcoming NHL expansion, Gary Bettman announced this week. Both Quebec City and Las Vegas are in the process of gaining an expansion team for their respective cities. (NHL.com)
- Noah Hanifin made the Hurricanes roster, which should not be a surprise to any since he cannot play in the AHL this year. (NHL.com)
- Andrew Hammond, aka the Hamburglar, is out two weeks due to a hamstring injury. (Ottawa Sun)
- The rumours that Eric Staal wants 9 million per year seems to be false, according to Bob McKenzie
Videos of the Week
PK Subban is actually Don Cherry this entire time.
The Hanson brothers gave the Penguins some motivation prior to their game against Tampa Bay
Jonathan Drouin has a razzle dazzle goal
The Oilers 2015/16 season opens up vs. the St.Louis blues next Thursday, October 8th. Talk about having your work cut out for you right off the bat. Who’s got more to prove though?
Thanks for reading and we’ll see you next week!
Follow me on Twitter here!