This is a special time of year for hockey fans where speculation and fantasy is ramped up something fierce. A time where you can add players to your team and discard the ones that have been playing shit all year and you can’t stand. And while this year hasn’t been anywhere near good for our Edmonton Oilers, another deadline is coming and we’re talking about pilfering everyone but this year there’s only one untouchable, Connor McDavid.
So with that said, I’d like to get into my 2016 Oilers Trade Deadline Wishlist!
- My first wish would be for the Oilers to send Justin Schultz to a team in Russia where we wouldn’t have to hear from him or about him again. Preferably a team in Siberia with a rink in the deepest parts of a salt mine. But realistically I hope he can bring back at least a prospect that could fill an organizational need.
Word has it Anthony DeAngelo out of the Tampa Bay organization is being offered up. He’s a pint-sized offensive dman and former teammate of current Oiler, Darnell Nurse, from back in their days as Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. I’d be happy with that. He’s a right shot and lord knows Edmonton is devoid of those.
Another name that nobody is talking about and probably for good reason is Slava Voynov… Now, I’m not sure about all the details regarding his eligibility status but if Craig MacTavish can run a guy over under the influence, go to jail and be forgiven. Surely Voynov could too. He wouldn’t be able to join the team until sometime in the future but wouldn’t he add some quality to the Oilers back-end?
- I’d like the Oilers to trade Benoit Pouliot and Mark Letestu to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Scott Hartnell.
I remember hearing that the Oilers were in on this guy earlier in the season when the Mark Fayne rumours were flying. And I think the rumblings go all the way back to his days in Philly.
He’s an experienced veteran and his contract isn’t sexy but he can play in the top 6 and provide an element that teams hate to play against which is really what the Oilers’ forward corps. needs. Plus he just might be the funniest guy in the NHL aside from Luongo.
Letestu is missed in apparently missed in Columbus and if the Oilers could get out from under his deal, I wouldn’t cry over it.
- It would be something to see Mark Fayne and Nail Yakupov moved to New Jersey for Pavel Zacha.
No, the Oilers do not need anymore young players but New Jersey is on the verge of a playoff spot, Fayne played well there in the past with Andy Greene, and the importance of depth on defense going into the playoffs cannot be understated.
I would be sad to see Yak move but excited to see Zach-a. The Czech center has garnered praise from the likes of Jaromir Jagr in the past and he’s a handful to play against. Chosen 6th overall in 2015, he’s very competitive, a little bit crazy to say the least but is having trouble staying healthy. It’s not all questionable with him though. The 6’3″ 209lb forward has been a point-per-game player in Sarnia for the last two years.
Can’t see the Devils giving up on him though. I guess it depends on how desperate Ray Shero is and what the Devils are looking at with regards to the returns of injured stars Patrik Elias, Mike Cammalleri, and Jiri Tlusty.
- Would it be too much to ask if Peter Chiarelli to get his hands on Matt Dumba from Minnesota? The team could really use a physical rightie with a touch of offense. He’s already surpassed Griffin Reinhart. Say, why not throw Reinhart Chuck Fletcher’s way and toss in a 2nd rounder since the Wild lack that. Jonas Brodin is coming back from injury and they’re keen on Mike Rielly.
I really think that PC needs to distance himself from Reinhart. He’s already started off on the wrong foot in Edmonton which is a shame because he’s more or less junior hockey legend around these parts. There are just far too many things working against him in Edmonton, one of those being the glut of left-handed defensemen in the system. The faster Chia can move on from him, the better I reckon.
- Teddy Purcell, Iiro Pakarinen, Lauri Korpikoski, Anton Lander… For my wish list I’d like to see you move on and have success with another team because there’s now way in hell you’re getting it in Edmonton.
Teddy, move on to Chicago and help them go deep in the playoffs. Maybe bring us back a 2nd rounder.
Iiro, you’ve got the coolest name but you can’t score for shit in the NHL despite having a 600 mph shot. Do you think you’ve got it in you to bring back a 4th rounder?
Lauri Korpikoski, you’re still here? I could’ve sworn you were traded for a Rob Brown rookie card. Well regardless, hopefully you’ll bring the team an expiring bad contract in the form of say…Shawn Horcoff or Sam Gagner because there’s nothing like bringing back former Oilers only to see them leave again.
Anton poor Anton. What happened to all of your mojo? Did you lose a bet or something? We had such high hopes for you this season and now they’re gone. They’ve been gone for nearly the entire season… Well I reckon there’s still a player in you and If ChiaPete traded you that you could bring back a solid pick in the 5th round.
What’s on your 2016 Oilers Trade Deadline Wishlist? Let me know in the comments below and don’t forget to head over to the Beer League Heroes Youtube channel and subscribe! Some very cool stuff coming soon! Most importantly you can check out Three Points Dave’s latest vlog!