According to this tweet from Chris Nichols, who I highly recommend if you’re into NHL insider highlights, and via Elliotte Friedman; the Edmonton Oilers are apparently still in the Travis Hamonic sweepstakes. One would think things have simmered down since last week, wouldn’t they?
— Chris Nichols (@NicholsOnHockey) November 27, 2015
Well friend of the blog Ryan Robinson laid out his thoughts in his most recent vlog below. Check it out and I’m going to comment on his thoughts below!
Comments on Mr.Robinson’s vlog:
- “I don’t believe that Edmonton has a desperate need to trade for him (Hamonic)”
- The Oilers lack a two-way RIGHT HANDED defenceman in the mold of Hamonic. So I strongly disagree with this sentiment. Not only that but he’s not a spring chicken and he’s capable of playing a shut down role and 20+ minutes per night.
- “The main problem I see with it (defense) is that it’s young.”
- So by this sentiment, wouldn’t you want to acquire an older player?
- “This is the core that the Oilers should be building around: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Leon Draisaitl, Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, and Oscar Klefbom.”
- I like this core but given what Hall is bringing to the table right now, you definitely keep him in the core because he is not a complimentary player, he’s a driver. Eberle and Yak are complimentary wingers thus expendable. Not only that but his contract is an absolute steal.
What I come away with is that Mr.Robinson isn’t willing to part with Hall, Eberle, or Yakupov at the beginning of his vlog (surely they’d fall under the title of “talented young forwards”) but then at the end those players don’t fit into the core of his team and trading Hall for Hamonic would be a massive overpayment… So would he be willing to trade Eberle, as many are suggesting, or a healthy and producing Nail Yakupov? I’m so confused…
In order to acquire talent, one has to be willing to part with talent, no?
I get the feeling that Ryan is willing to be patient with this squad and I respect that and I also get that Nurse is going to be a top 20 defender within the next three years but it’s all but guaranteed that Peter Chiarelli is far from willing to wait 2-3 three years for that nor are the fans of the team.
Lastly, how many years of Connor McDavid’s entry level deal are you willing to waste waiting for Reinhart, Davidson, Klefbom, and Nurse to develop to their potential?
What are your thoughts on the vlog? Let me know in the comments below!
We’ve got phone cases over at the Beer League Heroes Merch Shop now! You can find them at the bottom of the the page when you click on a t-shirt design! Head on over and get one today!