#PackYourShit And fly your big ass to Edmonton Milan Lucic.
— Mike Commodore (@commie22) June 23, 2016
Some big decisions are about to be made folks! Will Chia Pete deal off Taylor Hall to fit Milan Lucic into the lineup and get that prized blueliner that we haven’t heard about yet? Might the Toronto Maple Leafs have interest in Nail Yakupov? Does Ryan Nugent-Hopkins get moved to a team like the Minnesota Wild? I want to talk about these things and more…
Just a few notes from yesterday’s edition of Oilers Now:
- Watch out for these teams at the draft and this summer:
- Colorado – looking for a change in organizational philosophy.
- Montreal – PK Subban is all the rage!
- New York Rangers – want to move out salary.
- New York Islanders – Hamonic. Will he stay or go?
- Columbus – they’ve got to move some fat contracts and what will they do with #3 overall?
- Ottawa – Cody Ceci is a name to remember.
- Minnesota – Stauffer didn’t like Brodin and was iffy on Dumba.
- New Jersey – Bob wondered about a Yakupov plus a third for Damon Severson.
- Calgary – Stauffer talked about a possible Wideman for Korpikoski deal
- Winnipeg – No on the Nurse for Trouba. Wondered why the Jets would want to move Trouba instead of Myers and the Jets are in the market for a centre.
- Barrie could still be available. Stauffer said that Sakic mentioned the same thing when he was asked about Ryan O’Reilly last year. Burnaby Joe said ROR was a priority for the AVs then 8 days later he was dealt.
- In regards to the Milan Lucic sweepstakes Bob said to keep an eye on Anaheim, Vancouver and Edmonton.
- Yakupov’s value is going down because he’s going to have to be protected in the expansion draft whilst the #4 pick overall’s value is going up because that player will not have to be protected.
- Iiro “The Hero” Pakarinen should be signed to a 1yr 1-way deal in the next couple of weeks for no more than 850k.
- Stauffer said that he doesn’t think the Oilers will move up in the draft and that Chiarelli would have to be overwhelmed to trade down.
- It’s Matthew Tkachuck or Mikhail Sergachev for Bob if he had a choice.
CONNOR MCDAVID CALDER SNUB
Panarin won the Calder rather handily. pic.twitter.com/HiKwmqg4ek
— Mark Lazerus (@MarkLazerus) June 22, 2016
This is fucked. I don’t know who votes for the rookies of the month but if those are the same guys that get to vote for the Calder Trophy, then that was some fixing that got done there. McDavid was clearly the best 1st year player in the NHL. It’s a god damned joke that Panarin was even considered by the PHWA on a common sense level.
Gostisbehere w/ more votes than McDavid. So CM got dinged for missing 37 GP to injury,but SG is fine missing 18 due to not making his team.
— Bruce McCurdy (@BruceMcCurdy) June 22, 2016
"We're talking a 3rd round pick at this point (for Yakupov). Maybe a late 2nd." – Rishaug
— Tyler (@akaRCN) June 23, 2016
Fack. This makes me want to puke in my mouth a little bit. Yak can’t get any love from the NHL or his own National team… A bloody third rounder?! How about we throw a hearty double bird Dallas Eakins and Craig MacTavish’s way for trying to make Yak a “two-way” player instead of playing to his strengths…
price for Nail Yakupov is reportedly a 3rd rounder now.
That has to be worth getting on phone. Throw Seidenberg in & it'll get jumped at.
— StanleyCup ofChowder (@cupofchowdah) June 23, 2016
I will say this though. NEVER will an Edmonton Oilers prospect ever don the number 64 again after Yakupov is traded. It’s cursed.
EXPANSION DRAFT PROTECTION LIST
My guess is that Peter Chiarelli will find a way to add 1 top 4 right shot D in next 2 weeks. That player, plus Sekera (NMC), Klefbom and…
— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) June 22, 2016
… Davidson (who could end up being a #4 ) will likely be the 4D the Oilers protect if they go the 4-4-1 route in expansion
— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) June 22, 2016
So that got me thinking… Who would I put in the Oilers expansion draft protection list.
- Taylor Hall
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
- Jordan Eberle
- Leon Draisaitl
- Andrej Sekera
- Oscar Klefbom
- **New Guy**
- Brandon Davidson
- Cam Talbot.
But here’s the rub, how long will Nuge and Ebs be part of the Oilers team? Especially if a player like Milan Lucic or Troy Brouwer are acquired?
I don’t think we can call what we’re reading on Twitter “rumours” anymore. We’re experiencing a full-fledged game of telephone here. One person says one thing to another and they pass it on down the line and then the person at the end of the line says what they were told… It’s never what the first person said, right?
But with that being said, I mentioned this on Twitter (@beerleagueheroe) earlier in the day, Taylor Hall is a great hockey player. He drives the play for the Oilers, gives the opposition team another superstar to contend with, and he’s a top three left wing in the National Hockey League BUT he’s not THE best. He’s not Bobby Orr, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, or Wayne Gretzky and I think a lot of fans have a tough time thinking about an Edmonton Oilers team that doesn’t have Taylor Hall on it. And they should try because there are actually other good players on the team and the Edmonton Oilers might actually be okay without Hall.
Personally, I’d like to see this team win WITH Taylor Hall because I think he deserves as much. He’s grown on me a bit and the data that has been shown and explained to me by Darcy McLeod (@woodguy) and Alan Hull (@alanhull) has been quite eye opening. But if he does get dealt, I’ll be eager to see how the new players fit in and help the team get to the next level.