Two games at home and two wins. Is it possible that the Oilers could make it three in a row against the Sabres on Sunday? Jack Eichel is coming to town and what was previously billed as the McEichel showdown is now a face-off between former WHL rivals Sam Reinhart and Leon Draisaitl. It would’ve been something if Griffin didn’t get sent down eh?
I just wanted to touch on a few rumblings this evening and then let you get back to your Christmas shopping and your hockey.
- Pouliot and Ference were put on IR. Don’t ask me what’s wrong with Ference. Maybe he got a splinter from riding the pine. As for Pouliot, there’s been something wrong with him for sometime but I suspect that hit from Dion Phaneuf didn’t do him any favors.
- Ryan Hamilton was called up to replace Benny Pouliot today. He stands over 6ft and 200lbs and plays a physical game.
- The Oilers are 4-4-2 in their last 10… Beauty!
- I’m just watching the Sens/Islanders game and Bob Cole is calling it. Do you get mesmerized every time you hear his voice like I do? I think he’s the greatest play-by-play man in hockey history.
- I read of a few teams that are targeting Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle since they were called out by Todd McLellan this past week. Namely Nashville, Minnesota, and New Jersey.
- If we’re looking at the Predators, there are only two players I could accept, well three, in a trade for Nuge. Seth Jones, Roman Josi, and Shea Weber and I can’t see David Poile being silly enough to move any of those players.
- Minnesota also has a few defensemen that tickle me fancy. Jared Spurgeon, Jonas Brodin, and Matt Dumba. Charlie Coyle is a very good two-way forward as well but would making a deal with the Wild me more or less two steps back and one step forward?
- I see nothing in New Jersey apart from Adam Larsson and with the Devils have Adam Henrique and Travis Zajac to cover the center position. The team only has prospects to offer and the Oilers simply do not need any more “potentials”. Although Pavel Zacha and Mackenzie Blackwood are tempting.
- Eberle is being connected with the Habs and Flyers. Both teams need some more complimentary scoring on the right side.
- I don’t reckon the Oilers would get anything apart from prospects and picks in return for Eberle due to his salary. Unless of course they’re taking salary back.
- Perhaps a player like Wayne Simmonds (PHI) or Brendan Gallagher (MTL) fit the McLellan mold. But why make that deal when the Oilers potentially have players in the same vein in Braden Christoffer and Jujhar Khaira. Prioritize the defence.
- Nothing will get done mid-season. It’s just too hard to make a trade with so many teams up against the cap.
- Griffin Reinhart is doing fair to midland down in Bakersfield so far. Two games in no goals, one assist, +1, and two PIMs. It’s nothing to write home about but the scorelines in both of those games were 7-6(L) and 6-4 (W). I suppose you can draw your own conclusions.
- Speaking of Bakersfield, keep an eye on Josh Winquist. He’s played in 8 games so far and has 3 goals and 4 assists. He’s also managed to find a way to rack up 20 minutes in the sin bin too.
That’s it for now. Take it easy and we’ll see you tomorrow night!