Alright so second week of the Edmonton Oilers season was underway and we ended up with a 1-2-0 record.
It is a tough schedule to be playing against teams like St. Louis and Dallas, but low and behold we have our first victory of the season against the Calgary Flames!
The Edmonton Oilers Three Stars of the Week
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
Nuge has been great on both ends of the ice. He tallied a nice goal right on the rebound last night against Calgary and has shown some really impressive back checking ability. Easily our best defensive forward, Nugent-Hopkins looked very comfortable with Taylor Hall on his left side.
2. Taylor Hall
Hall was our second best forward this week. He scored a crucial goal on a nice individual effort against St Louis and tallied a goal and two assists against Calgary. He was one of our most dangerous forwards in both those games.
1. Connor McDavid
Honestly, who else would it have been? The kid had his breakout game in a rival’s home turf. He silenced the boo birds very quickly. He started shooting the puck and ended up with two goals and one assist against Calgary last night. His assist was nice too: working deep behind the net and he just finds Pouliot wide open (who in turns passes it to Yakupov for his first goal of the year). Then there was the move he did on Hiller, on boy. Hiller made a great desperation save and if McDavid rose that puck, he would have had a hat trick and the goal of the year. It’s scary how good this kid is and we finally got a glimmer of what is to come for this amazing young man. He also scored his first career goal in a stinker against Dallas.
Edmonton Oilers News and Rumors
St. Louis Blues GM Doug Armstrong in the press box, scouting Flames-Oilers. Hmmm…
— Mark Spector (@SportsnetSpec) October 18, 2015
Interesting that Doug Armstrong was in the pressbox scouting the Flames and Oilers. It’s very interesting. Blues have had a good start to the season while both Edmonton and Calgary have struggled out of the gate.
Also interesting to note, despite being sent down to the AHL, Nikitin and Scrivens have not played a game yet for the Condors. It’s been debunked as Visa issues, but all is quiet right now.
Around The League
- Jaromir Jagr is having a great start to the season. His mullet is also making a come back this year. Can’t help but root for the Panthers.
- Former Oiler Joni Pitkanen is attempting a comeback. He had a horrific injury that caused the NHL to change it’s icing rules.
- Sidney Crosby does not have a point yet this season. I took Ovechkin in my pools so I’m alright with this.
- Phil Kessel faced his former team for the first time. He was held pointless in a 2-1 win.
- Montreal Canadiens are still undefeated. Carey Price is really good at hockey.
- Think the Oilers 0-4 start was bad? Columbus is 0-6. Looking pretty bad in Columbus right now.
- Unsurprisingly, Auston Matthews is ranked #1 in Craig Button’s Draft List for October.
- Max Domi and Anthony Duclair are leading the surprising start for Arizona.
Re-watch the Oilers win over Calgary many times over
McDavid’s effort + Hiller’s desperation save = Golden Highlight
Colton Parayko’s shot made a nice mark on the glass
Hall’s beautiful back hander on Elliot
McDavid scored his first career goal against Dallas
The Week Ahead
The Oilers have four games this week: Sunday in Vancouver and two home games: Wednesday vs Detroit and Friday vs Washington.
That’s your weekly round up for this week!
Follow me on Twitter!