Everyday I go to the Oilers groups on Facebook and see what the masses are chatting about and today I thought I’d address some of the things that are being said within said groups. Sometimes fans have some really great ideas that are well thought out and well within the realms of reality but sometimes you have to wonder if they getting hockey mixed up with competitive knitting. I’m not going to include the names or where I found these comments because it might be not be taken in the context intended.
1. “So here is my take on what I think the oil should do. Trade the soft 1 way #14. For a solid d man on the right side. Wow lucic in here. As much as I hate to say it trade nuge and some pics for a stud d man. Free up some cap space in case of injury. Just my thoughts.”
Alright, this is a pretty common thought online but there are some issues.
- If you think that Eberle is soft and can only play 1 way, don’t you reckon the GMs in the NHL are aware of that as well and that it might hurt his value?
- Who would be considered a solid dman?
- It’s this kind of comment where you have to wonder if some fans actually know what a good NHL defenseman looks like.
- If the Oilers acquire Milan Lucic, you have to consider the affect that will have on the salary cap, the ability to upgrade on defense, and what do the Oilers do with Benoit Pouliot, Pat Maroon, or Taylor Hall?
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins value couldn’t be lower at this point. Therefore the Oilers would be remiss to move him at this point because they aren’t going to get an even return for what boils down to a 1st line centre in the NHL. Forget that he was a 1st overall pick, he’s gone up against the NHL’s best centres his entire career so far.
- To add to the point above, the Oilers FINALLY have depth at centre and now we should deal one of them away?
- Who is considered a stud dman?
2. “Damned glad PC didn’t make a trade for the sake of making fans shut up. Love that he and Todd are building THEIR team. Take your time boys, I’d rather wait a bit longer and be spoiled for a long time then have you load the gun early just for a few years.”
- I do agree with this sentiment. The other GMs are overvaluing their dman in a disgusting way right now. Taylor Hall for Kevin Shattenkirk? What?!
- If we can just hold on, develop our players correctly, and not overpay on the free agent market; the Oiler should be in a fine place when those GMs are in a bad place come expansion draft time.
3. “Let’s not expect Puliarvi to play here right away. We need the Detroit Model. We need to play our NHL Players over 18 Year olds who need more time in Jr.”
- I am 50/50 on this statement. I think that Puljujarvi could be a special case because he’d been playing against men all year in the Finnish league.
- To put it in a little perspective, Colorado Avalanche prospect Mikko Rantanen put up similar numbers in his draft year playing for TPS in the SM-Liiga (56gp 9g 19a 28pts) as Puljujarvi did playing for Karpat (50gp 13g 15a 18pts).
- Rantanen then came over to the NHL and played 9 games for Colorado but failed to put up any points. He was sent to San Antonio of the AHL and proceeded to put up 60pts in 52 games. It’s obvious that he’s too good for the AHL and that perhaps he should’ve been recalled at some point.
- Puljujarvi could go to Bakersfield but there’s a good chance he’d be too good for that league but with that being said, if Edmonton can’t deal Eberle or Yakupov, then perhaps it would be a good short term solution until a trade can be made. But even then if he were to play 3rd line minutes in his first season, that wouldn’t be too bad either…
So folks I think the bottom line is thus:
Be patient, let the market correct and Chiarelli will get us the pieces we need to be a competitive hockey team. Also, keep this in mind, how much better would the Oilers have been if Klefbom and McDavid had played 82 games? Toss in Ryan Nugent-Hopkins not getting injured and having a healthy Jordan Eberle to start the year… It’s a very different story and one that doesn’t end with the Oilers possibly getting the best winger in the 2016 NHL draft…